Archive for category Fall
A Variety of Things
Posted by Brian Oliver in Fall, Harrisburg (AA), Management, Players, Syracuse (AAA), Washington (MLB) on November 19th, 2009
Here are a series of links of interest with my quick thoughts:
- The Nationals officially hired Davey Johnson as a Senior Advisor to Mike Rizzo. It’s nice to see another solid baseball guy in the front office though I wonder if there is any possibility that Johnson could be a replacement for Jim Riggleman.
- The Nats held a roundtable with the local writers where a few things came out:
- Added 17 new front office positions to include scouts. Still no official word on if there is anyone in the Pacific Rim. I’ll keep asking
- Finalized a deal to build a new Dominican complex in Boca Chica. Good to see they are getting their own place after having to scramble for a location at the last minute this past year.
- Nats scouts have already watched potential 2010 #1 overall Bryce Harper and that he is not as clear cut a #1 as Strasburg was in 2009. That could just be posturing.
- Tracee Hamilton has a feature on NFA favorite Josh Wilkie. Nice to see Josh get some publicity in the local media.
- and a blog post on Jeff Mandel and how the Baby Nats will be competing for the AFL title this weekend with Strasburg starting the championship game
- The Syracuse Chiefs lost money again in 2009 but less than they did in 2008. An extended assignment of Stephen Strasburg is what they are hoping for in 2010. I don’t think Strasburg will start the season in Triple-A. Coming from a guy who was born in Syracuse and still has family there, it’s still pretty cold in April in upstate New York and I’m not sure the Nationals will want to risk injury having Strasburg pitch in a chilly environment.
- Geoff Morrow of the Patriot News has an update on the renovations on City Island.
- and news that Randy Tomlin will be returning as Harrisburg’s pitching coach in 2010. Tomlin will again be working with Randy Knorr (they previously worked together in Potomac in 2007-08)
- John Sickels has his preliminary Nats Top 20 up at Minor League Ball and the #1 is as expected. I’m working on my own top prospect list and should have it up within a week or so
- and on a final note, Dan Steinberg tweeted that the Post is now looking for a new Nats beat writer after Chico Harlan decided to pursue other opportunities. I enjoyed his writing as he attempted to find different angles of a really bad team. I’ve learned over the years how much of a drain the day in and day out can be … and that’s just me doing the Across the Affiliates and other stuff I do here at NFA. I don’t have to see the players, managers, management every day, fostering relationships yet still attempting to be critical when the need arises. I don’t have to work under tight deadlines attempting to bring an interesting perspective to gamers. The other major sports have many more off-days that allow for a battery recharge. Harlan has his detractors, especially after his Washingtonian interview earlier this year, but I want to thank him and wish him the best of luck.
Posted by Brian Oliver in Fall on November 11th, 2009
From the Nationals
After missing his scheduled start on Sat. (strained neck), Nationals RHP Stephen Strasburg is slated to make his next Arizona Fall League start on Saturday vs. Peoria Saguaros.
Wilkie Added to Rising Stars Game
I just received word the RHRP Josh Wilkie will be participating in tomorrow’s AFL Rising Stars Game.
Strasburg Scratched for Saturday
Just out from the Nationals
Nationals RHP Stephen Strasburg has been scratched for precautionary reasons from his scheduled start in Sat.’s Arizona Fall League Rising Stars Game due to a muscle strain in his neck.
He is listed as day-to-day and when we get confirmation on the date of his next AFL start, we will let you know.
Updated AFL Roster
Posted by Brian Oliver in Fall on October 13th, 2009
Baseball America has an updated Arizona Fall League roster, replacing Derek Norris will be Sean Rooney. Norris’ broken hamate bone necessitated the addition of a catcher.
Derek Norris Injured
Posted by Brian Oliver in Fall, Players on October 7th, 2009
According to a source, Nationals CA Derek Norris sustained a broken hamate bone yesterday and will not be participating in the Arizona Fall League.
The Nationals confirmed this news and released the following report today …
C Derek Norris fractured his left hamate bone while working out in the Instructional League.
He will have surgery performed by Dr. Thomas Graham in Baltimore to remove the fractured hamate bone on Thursday, October 8.
He is expected to be able to resume baseball activities in December.
This is the same injury suffered by Ryan Zimmerman back in November 2007 and Ian Desmond earlier this year. The recovery times can vary depending upon the severity and the individual player.
Will Carroll of Baseball Prospectus spoke with Scout.com in July 2009 about hamate injuries. Here is a portion of what he had to say.
- “A hamate is one of the small bones in the wrist. There are two parts to the bone – the hook and the body. Most surgery is done to remove the hook, which is so fragile that it seldom realigns well. The wrist functions well without it.”
- “There’s some lingering power deficit in the first year, but there’s no long term problems. The recovery time depends on the severity and mechanism of the injury, their pain tolerance, and the individual healing response. People are all different.”
Instructional League Roster & Schedule
Posted by Brian Oliver in Dominican Summer League, Fall, Gulf Coast League (R), Hagerstown (A), Harrisburg (AA), Players, Potomac (A), Vermont (SS) on September 15th, 2009
Hat tip to Space Coast Baseball
|Baez, Gregori||17||LHSP||DSL||09 IFA|
|Brazoban, Cleto||17||RHSP||DSL||09 IFA|
|Crane, Dustin||22||RHRP||GCL, Vermont||09D (24th)|
|Demny, Paul||19||RHSP||Hagerstown||08D (6th)|
|Encarnacion, Pedro||17||RHSP||DSL||09 IFA|
|Fabian, Robinson||23||RHRP||Asheville, Hagerstown||09 Trd (COL)|
|Frias, Marcos||20||RHSP||Hagerstown||07 IFA|
|Garcia, Luis||22||RHRP||Grat Lakes, Potomac||09 Trd (LAD)|
|Gonzalez, Danubio||17||RHSP||DSL||09 IFA|
|Hansen, Bobby||19||LHSP||GCL||08D (18th)|
|Hicks, Graham||19||LHSP||GCL, Vermont||08D (4th)|
|Jaime, Juan||21||RHSP||Vermont, Hagerstown||04 IFA|
|Jenkins, Chad||21||LHSP||GCL, Vermont||09D (17th)|
|Jordan, Taylor||20||RHSP||GCL||09D (9th)|
|Karns, Nathan||21||RHSP||GCL||09D (12th)|
|King, Brandon||18||RHSP||GCL||09D (27th)|
|McCoy, Pat||20||LHRP||Hagerstown, Potomac||07D (10th)|
|Morris, A.J.||22||RHSP||GCL, Hagerstown||09D (4th)|
|Rosenbaum, Dan||21||LHSP||GCL||09D (22nd)|
|Smoker, Josh||20||LHSP||GCL||07D (1st Sup)|
|Storen, Drew||21||RHRP||Hagerstown, Potomac, Harrisburg||09D (1st)|
|Strasburg, Stephen||21||RHSP||-||09D (1st)|
|Swynenberg, Matt||20||RHSP||GCL, Vermont||09D (28th)|
|Vasquez, Wanel||21||RHSP||GCL||06 IFA|
|Weaver, Dean||21||RHRP||GCL||09D (7th)|
|Killian, Dan*||20||CA||Vermont||08D (7th)|
|Leon, Sandy#||20||CA||Vermont, Hagerstown||07 IFA|
|Martinez, Ricardo||20||CA||GCL||07 IFA|
|Nieto, Adrian#||19||CA||GCL||08D (5th)|
|Pena, Bill||17||CA||DSL||09 IFA|
|Bloxom, Justin#||21||CIF||Vermont||09D (11th)|
|King, Stephen||21||3B/SS||Potomac||06D (3rd)|
|Kobernus, Jeff||20||2B||Vermont||09D (2nd)|
|Lombardozzi, Stephen#||20||2B||Hagerstown||08D (19th)|
|Moore, Tyler||22||1B||Hagerstown||09D (16th)|
|Perez, Roberto||18||SS||GCL||09D (8th)|
|Sanchez, Adrian#||19||2B||GCL||07 IFA|
|Souza, Steven||20||SS/3B||Hagerstown||07D (3rd)|
|Taylor, Michael||18||SS||GCL||09D (6th)|
|Valdez, Jean||17||SS||-||09 IFA|
|Burgess, Michael*||20||RF||Potomac||07D (1st Sup)|
|Higley, J.R.||21||OF||Vermont, Hagerstown||08D (9th)|
|Hood, Destin||19||LF||GCL, Vermont||08D (2nd)|
|Morales, Jesus||19||CF||DSL||07 IFA|
|Perez, Eury||19||CF||GCL||07 IFA|
|Phillips, Derrick||18||OF||GCL||08D (23rd)|
|Ramirez, J.P.*||19||RF||Vermont||08D (15th)|
|Ramos, Wander||19||OF||DSL||09 IFA|
|Rodriguez, Aridio||20||OF||DSL||09 IFA|
|Whiting, Boomer||25||OF||Potomac||07D (24th)|
|8-Oct||Canada @ Disney||1PM|
Josh Wilkie to AFL
Posted by Brian Oliver in Fall on September 4th, 2009
Chico Harlan confirmed that RHRP Josh Wilkie will be the sixth and final representative for the Nationals in the Arizona Fall League.
This was news I had heard rumored earlier this week and I’m happy to hear that Wilkie will get the chance to work against some of the top talent in MLB.
Across the Affiliates 10/09/08
Posted by Brian Oliver in Across the Affiliates, Fall on October 9th, 2008
The Peoria Saguaros outslugged the Scottsdale Scorpions 10-7 (box/gamer). DH Leonar Davis was 1/2 with a stolen base and RBI. 1B Bill Rhinehart was 1/4 with a single, run, RBI and walk. RHP Zech Zinicola pitched 1 2/3 innings of relief, blowing a save allowing a home run among his two hits with one walk and two strikeouts.
Across the Affiliates 10/08/08
Posted by Brian Oliver in Across the Affiliates, Fall on October 8th, 2008
The Arizona Fall League got underway yesterday with the Peoria Saguaros defeating the Scottsdale Scorpions 9-3 (box/gamer). Leonard Davis played RF and was 0/4 with a run scored. SS Ian Desmond was 2/3 with one run and one RBI. LHP Cory VanAllen started for the Saguaros allowing two runs (one earned) on three hits over two innings with two strikeouts. RHP Adam Carr pitched a scoreless inning with one strikeout.