The regular season for the minor leagues finished on Labor Day with the four full season affiliates polishing off their schedules.
I’ll update with any organizational or roster news I hear but I don’t expect much information until the fall & winter leagues kick off in a month or so.
- Defeated Pawtucket 5-3 (box/gamer). RHP Shairon Martis gave up three runs on six hits and a walk over 6IP with two strikeouts, but did not figure in the decision. A trio of right-handers promoted after the game finished off the final game of the season. RHP Marco Estrada pitched a scoreless inning; RHP Zack Segovia gave up two hits and struck out one in one inning to pick up the win; and RHP Logan kensing earned his 17th save with a scoreless ninth. CF Mike Daniel was 1/3 with a walk; DH Brad Eldred was 1/4 with a solo homer; LF Leonard Davis was 1/4; 2B Seth Bynum was 1/3 with a double & run scored; SS Ian Desmond was 2/4 with a run scored; and CA Gustavo Molina was 1/4 with a double & three RBI.
- The Syracuse Post-Standard calls the first year of the National/Chief partnership a success
- I wanted to thank Harrisburg’s Terry Byrom for the invitation to sit with him on the last broadcast of the season. I enjoyed it and hope that those who listened found it interesting.
- Defeated Bowie 4-2 in a rain-shortened six and half inning game (box/gamer). RHP Brad Meyers gave up two runs (one earned) on six hits and two walks over 5IP while striking out seven to pick up the win. LHP Justin Jones earned the save with a scoreless sixth, walking one and striking out two. LF Bill Rhinehart led the way on offense, going 3/3 with a solo homer & two-run double; 1B Chris Marrero was 2/3 with a double & RBI; CA Sean Rooney was 1/3; SS Jemel Spearman was 1/3 with a run scored; and RF Francisco Plasencia was 1/4 with a run scored.
- Defeated Kinston 9-4 (box/gamer). Potomac scored eight runs over the final two innings to both win their final game of the season and knock the K-Tribe out of the playoffs. LHP Will Atwood allowed four runs (three earned) on eight hits & two walks over 5IP with two strikeouts. RHP Hassan Pena picked up the win with two scoreless innings of relief, allowing one hit & striking out two and RHP Cole Kimball earned his 9th save with two shutout innings of relief. 2B Michael Martinez was 2/5 with two runs & one RBI; SS Danny Espinosa was 3/4 with a double, triple, stolen base, run & two RBI; LF Jesus Valdez was 1/4 with a double, run & three RBI; RF Michael Burgess was 2/5 with a double & RBI; and CF Boomer Whiting was 1/2 with two walks, one RBI, two runs & his 54th stolen base of the season.
- Lost 4-2 to Lake County (box/gamer). RHP A.J. Morris fell to 0-4 on the season, allowing three runs on five hits & two walks over 5IP with four strikeouts. 2B Stephen Lombardozzi was 2/3 with two runs scored; RF J.R. Higley was 2/3 with a double & RBI; DH Tyler Moore was 1/3 with one RBI; and SS Jose Lozada was 2/4 with a double.
Tragic Number Update
Eliminated (13): Yankees, Angels, Cardinals, Dodgers, Red Sox, Phillies, Rockies, Rangers, Giants, Tigers, Marlins, Mariners, & Rays